I love things that have more than one purpose, especially as it pertains to packing. These are a few of my favourite things (see what I did there?)
- Jamaican Black Castor Oil. So I tried some of this from Sally’s because the sound of something mango & lime scented sounds delightful (and this is). It’s supposed to be for moisturizing hair, and I have used it for hot oil treatments. Another thing that it is excellent for is moisturizing your skin. Apply on damp skin after showering or bathing, and it leaves skin soft and supple. Another use is for cleaning makeup brushes. Just thought I’d throw that in there. Use along with soap.
- Plastic bags. Oscar the grouch was onto something with “I Love Trash”. A plastic bag is the perfect multi-purpose item. They’re good garment bags, plastic caps for condition your hair, shower caps, trash bags for a small trash can… the list goes on and on. Just one more though… they keep your hair from getting wet if you forgot an umbrella.
- Strainers. In the kitchen, strainers are a beautiful thing. Not only are they great for their intended purpose, they can be colanders, flour sifters, and good for rinsing rice.
- Coconut oil. All right, I know I have 2 oils on here, but I use them for different things. I rarely use this for cooking. What I really like using this for is oil pulling. It’s also great for makeup removal if you find yourself sans makeup removal cloths. It’s not as thick as the castor oil, which is why I like using it for my face. It’s like a facial cleanser and moisturizer in one. How sweet is that?
- Reusable bags. No duh, right? But seriously. I’ve used them for storage, as an overnight bag, and as a purse. Yes, I’ve used a reusable bag as a purse, and still do! Free People gives out cloth bags instead of plastic that are about the size of a dump bag. So when I’m away for work, that is my purse; it takes up very little luggage space.
- Soap. SOAP?! I know, but hear me out! If you get a cheap, nicely scented soap from TJ Maxx or a similar discount store, it can be used to scent your drawers! If you want to get fancy, wrap them in a pretty tissue paper and secure with a ribbon. Voila! You have drawer deodorizers and didn’t spend much!
- Paper towels or napkins. Lord knows how many times I’ve used these as note pads or for doodling on long flights. Hey, it’s paper!
- Laptop. Anyone else ever use theirs as a file folder? No? (Okay, that one was silly, but I do this regularly).
- Sarongs are so right! (I had to). It’s a scarf for around the waist, right? I have one that I use as a beach dress cover up, a scarf around the neck, and a head wrap! Why not get the most out of it? It can even be used as a beach blanket for one! Or a lap cloth in church.
- Diva Wash. Menstrual cup users rejoice! There is now another use for the Diva Wash! For those of you that don’t know, the Diva Wash is specially formulated to wash a menstrual cup. This is important because of, firstly, where it goes, and it won’t ruin the medical-grade silicone. I don’t know if you read it, but it’s also great for face and body. I’ve been using it as a facial wash and sometimes bath soap. It has a delightful orange soap. I’m sure you can use most any menstrual cup wash this way, but that happens to be the one I’ve seen most readily at drugstores.
So that’s it! I hope some of these might be helpful to you or made you chuckle a little. These are the items that I use frequently. Hopefully, you found some new favourites, or are looking at things around you differently.