Psst, hey beautiful! Do you know how awesome you are? Well, you should. I’ve been checking you out for a long time, and you’re full of awesome.
Yes, right there, you! I’m talking to you!
and by you… I mean me. 😉
It’s no secret that loving yourself makes you a happier person. It makes me wonder why some of us don’t love ourselves more often.
I think sometimes in the effort to achieve more and be better people, we lose sight of the things that we do have going for us. We forget that before the degrees, accolades and things we’ve experienced, we were already awesome. It’s just that some of those experiences, degrees, and accolades help us to know what potential was always inside of us.
Loving yourself doesn’t always have to mean buying yourself something nice, taking yourself to the spa or anything that costs extravagant amounts of money. While these things do help, sometimes they can also cover up the fact that you don’t like yourself. Liking who you are leads you to knowing what you do and don’t deserve… which THEN can lead to spa visits and other ways of treating oneself.
When I was thinking about this, I thought of a couple of ways that you can cultivate a love for yourself, and be your own biggest fan:
- Celebrate your strengths. We all have weaknesses, but I think instead of focusing so much on those things, try focusing on the things that make you who you are, and cultivate those things. You can only become a better person this way. Your weaknesses will work themselves out.
- Banish people from your life that don’t appreciate you. If you find that you consistently don’t feel appreciated by people that you’re around, be careful; some of them may be character assassins. Not only will they kill your dreams, they’ll also destroy who you are, and possibly cause you to conform to whom they think you should be. Let’s face facts: as long as you live, you will always have people telling you who they think you should be. If you know who you are, ignore the critics. Send them into exile from your life and be the better for it. Along those same lines…
- Find people that celebrate you. If you find that perhaps you haven’t been keeping the proper circle of people around you, now is a good time to find your niche. Doing things that you love is a great way to meet people that are more like you and that understand your madness. Now here’s the thing; accepting criticism from these type of people might be a good thing. People that truly celebrate you want you to succeed; therefore, if they have something to say to you, it’s to make you an even more awesome version of you. And becoming a more awesome version of you is definitely self-love. Just know what criticisms are meant to help and take them into consideration. Trash the stuff that isn’t useful or constructive.
- Spend time doing things that you love. This is one way to keep your sanity, and keeping your sanity is self love. If doodling or drawing helps you to unwind, if creating music energizes you… if you love to dance, sing, take walks, make sure to allot time to do it!
- Enrich yourself as an individual. Dude, make yourself interesting! I think one of the best compliments a friend ever gave me was this: “Girl, I never know WHAT you’re going to tell me when I talk to you!” And all the time, I thought I was going to be boring! I think I started doing a lot of different things because I was afraid of being boring. Do yourself the same favor; try new things every once in a while. It helps keep life interesting for you.
These are just a few ways to start showing yourself some love and appreciation, but I’m sure there are countless ways that you can do things to show yourself some love… and not all of them cost money. The majority of them simply involve changing the way you see yourself.
I think the best way to sum it up is by this quote: “Close your eyes and imagine the best version of you possible. That’s who you really are, let go of any part of you that doesn’t believe it.” ~C. Assaad
Love yourself. You’re worthy of your love.