A couple of years back, there was a trend with these graphic tee shirts. They read “____ girls have the most fun.” It was usually a nationality of people. I think they got it all wrong! I think the people group that has the most fun is kids. They really should’ve come out with a shirt that said that… because it’s nothing but the truth.
Kids have a certain way of looking at things, and I think it’s because everything is new to them. Things they think are awesome or interesting we’ve allowed to become commonplace to us. They also enjoy the privilege of being able to walk up to people and say hello without being looked at awkwardly, touch people’s dogs without asking permission, and talk to strangers like they’re relatives… and look so darn cute doing it! If I did any of these things, people would look at me like I was a creeper! Sadly, that same innocence that children have doesn’t carry over into adulthood. Maybe it shouldn’t in some things, but I believe there are some things that we did as kids that need to carry over into adulthood. I think we’d all be happier adults because of it! If you lack any ideas, watch a kid for inspiration. If you don’t have a child of your own, people watch or borrow someone’s child and play with them.
Here are a couple of fun ideas that I have:
- make a blanket fort
- play video games
- take naps
- say what you’re thinking; don’t feel like you have to lie to protect someone’s feelings. Kids NEVER feel the need to do this. I think some of us get caught up in pleasing people. If you don’t like it, don’t want to and don’t approve, say so.
- play with Legos. If you don’t have any of your own, visit the Lego shop. Some Lego shops will show you how to make different thing. Go visit and play with their Legos!
- talk to a stranger. you might make a new friend. When you’re a child, adults tell you not to talk to strangers. Some kids will do it anyway.
- see the fun in everything and anything, even if it’s running errands
- dance! when you’re a kid, you don’t have to be good at this. “good” is subjective. as long as you’re having fun, who cares what everyone else says, does, or thinks, right?
- find a playground near you and have an awesome time!
These are just a few ideas. Children may not know everything, but there are some things they are doing right without realizing it. Unleash your inner child; he/she’s been asking to come out and play for a long time… and I think you know it, too. 😉